Should I use a citronella collar?
Having a furry companion is a source of endless love and happiness, but it's not without challenges. Among these challenges is excessive barking, which can be particularly troublesome. If your dog tends to bark at visitors or people passing by or constantly barks at the door, you may find yourself searching for a solution to bring back peace in your home.
In this comprehensive blog, we’ll discuss why dogs bark and why it’s essential to curb excessive barking. We’ll also explore the benefits of using citronella dog bark collars and citronella spray for dogs as humane and practical tools in minimising excessive barking in dogs.
Why do dogs bark?
Barking is a dog’s natural form of communication. However, barking excessively can be cause for concern, as it may mean that something isn’t right.
Understanding the reasons for dog barking will help you tailor your training approach and address the specific cause of your furry friend’s barking behaviour.
Here are some of the common reasons why dogs bark:
- Communication — As mentioned, barking is a way for dogs to communicate with their owners or other animals. They might bark to express joy, greet someone or get attention.
- Warning or alarm — Dogs often bark when they sense something unfamiliar or threatening in their environment. It serves as a warning to alert their owners of potential dangers.
- Anxiety and fear — Dogs may bark when they’re anxious or scared due to loud noises, new surroundings or being left alone for extended periods (separation anxiety).
- Boredom — Some dogs bark out of boredom, especially if they lack mental and physical stimulation. Barking becomes a way to entertain themselves.
- Territorial behaviour — Dogs are protective of their territory, and barking can be a way to mark and defend their space from perceived intruders.
- Seeking attention — Dogs may bark to seek attention when they feel lonely or neglected. They might vocalise to get their owner's attention, wanting to play, walk or simply seek affection and companionship.
- Frustration — When dogs become frustrated, they may resort to barking to express their discontent or dissatisfaction. This often occurs when they encounter obstacles or cannot obtain something they desire, like a toy or treat.
- Playfulness — Puppies often bark during play to express excitement and enjoyment.
- Health issues — In some cases, dogs may bark due to pain or discomfort caused by underlying health conditions.
Addressing excessive barking: the importance of correction
Excessive and incessant barking in dogs can be a frustrating and challenging issue for dog owners, as it can disrupt the peace and harmony in our homes and communities. As responsible pet owners, it is crucial to address excessive barking to ensure our dogs and those around them can live in a harmonious environment.
Below, we’ll explore the importance of correcting excessive barking to create a quieter, happier and more enjoyable living space for everyone involved.
- Neighbourly relations — Excessive barking can lead to strained relationships with neighbours, causing potential conflicts.
- Nuisance and disturbance — Continuous barking can be annoying and disruptive to people in the vicinity, affecting their peace and well-being.
- Legal concerns — In some areas, excessive barking may lead to noise complaints, and legal consequences can arise if not addressed.
- Pet's well-being — Uncontrolled barking can indicate underlying issues, such as anxiety or stress, affecting your pet's emotional and physical health.
- Training and discipline — Correcting excessive barking helps establish a well-behaved and disciplined dog, making them more manageable and enjoyable companions.
- Safety — Excessive barking may attract unwanted attention or potential threats, compromising your dog's and your property's safety.
- Quality of life — By addressing excessive barking, you improve your dog's overall quality of life, reducing their stress and enhancing their emotional well-being.
Humane solutions for excessive barking
When dealing with excessive barking, it's essential to choose humane and effective solutions like NZ citronella dog collars and citronella spray for dogs, which can gently deter barking while keeping your pet safe and happy. Proper training and responsible use of such products can lead to a more serene environment for you, your dog and those around you.
When it comes to bark control, owners have a few different collar types to choose from at DogMaster Trainers.
Most owners find they can train their dog out of excessive barking using electronic collars that use static or vibration stimulation. The static these collars emit is no different from the sensation you feel touching your car on a windy day, and is proven to be safe for your dog, as well as effective.
Citronella dog bark collars
For dogs with lower motivation that aren’t receptive to static or vibration stimulation or in places where e-collars are not permitted, there is the option of citronella dog bark collars and other products. Citronella is a natural essential oil obtained from leaves and stems of different lemongrass, and it has a citrus-like aroma that most dogs don’t like.
Citronella dog bark collars such as the BarkMate Deluxe Spray Anti Bark Collar or the BarkMate Supreme Citronella Spray Bark and Train System are designed specifically for bark control.
They automatically detect barking using a microphone sensor that provides reliable bark detection. The microcomputer chips in the collar can help discriminate barking from other external noises, and from this, the collar emits a small puff to distract the dog with the smell of the spray to deter barking. There is also a warning tone prior to spray correction.
These collars spray trace amounts of citronella oil at a time, ensuring the dog can merely smell the scent, and will not cause any harm to the dog. The manuals for these collars can be found here and here, respectively.
Should I use a citronella dog bark collar for my dog?
Citronella dog bark collars have gained popularity as a humane and safe option for controlling excessive barking in dogs. However, deciding whether to use a citronella collar depends on various factors and your dog's individual needs.
It's essential to consider your dog's temperament and specific barking behaviour and consult with a professional at DogMaster Trainers to determine if a citronella dog bark collar is the right solution for your pet. Always prioritise your dog's well-being and ensure the responsible use of any training tools.
One of the main advantages of citronella dog bark collars is their safety profile. The citronella spray is made from natural and non-toxic ingredients, making it a safe option for canine use.
The burst of citronella is merely an interruption and does not cause any physical harm to the dog. However, following the manufacturer's instructions and ensuring the collar fits properly is essential to avoid any discomfort for your furry friend.
Before using a citronella collar or any other bark control collar, it's essential to consider your dog's personality and needs and consult with a veterinarian or professional dog trainer to determine the best approach for your specific situation.
Citronella collars can be helpful in addressing excessive barking and providing a peaceful environment for you, your dog and the people around you. But, as with any training method, weighing the pros and cons and considering your dog's temperament and needs is crucial.
If you’ve been facing an excessive barking problem with your furry pal and have been wondering where to buy citronella dog collars in NZ, we’ve got you covered!
DogMaster Trainers, a premier distributor of quality dog training products, offers a range of citronella dog bark collars in NZ and expert advice to support you in making an informed decision. With over 20 years of experience in the industry, we have been dedicated to developing top-notch training products and providing unparalleled knowledge and after-sales service to our valued customers.
As a family-owned business, we take immense pride in offering only the best for your furry companions. Our commitment to delivering quality products and unmatched service has earned us the trust of families and professional dog trainers alike. We believe in setting high ethical standards, aligning ourselves with the national code of practice and ensuring that our offerings promote responsible and humane dog training practices.
With our years of experience and expertise, you can trust DogMaster Trainers to provide you with the finest citronella dog collar NZ has to offer. We are passionate about fostering a stronger bond between you and your dog through effective and responsible training methods.
Make the responsible choice for your dog's training needs and explore our citronella dog bark collars and other top-quality products. Join countless satisfied customers who have seen positive results in their dog's behaviour with our innovative training solutions. Let's create a harmonious and happy environment for both you and your four-legged friend.